CODE OF ETHICS
Membership in the Polonus Philatelic Society is a privilege extended to those persons and organizations deemed worthy thereof and is not a matter of right. Membership may be suspended or terminated if the Board of Directors determines that the conduct of a member justifies, in the best interest of the Society, such suspension or termination.
For the guidance of its members, this Code of Ethics has been duly adopted by the Board of Directors and by the authority vested in it by the Bylaws of the Society. A breach of ethics by any member reflects, directly or indirectly, upon all other members. Such a breach shall be considered conduct prejudicial to the welfare of the Society and cause for disciplinary action by the Board of Directors.
As a member of the Polonus Philatelic Society:
- I agree to support and to be governed by the Bylaws of the Society and such amendments, resolutions and policies as may be established by the Board of Directors.
- I agree to abide by all federal, state, and local laws relating to philatelic matters.
- I agree to conduct myself so as to bring no reproach or discredit to the Society or to philately and so as not to impair the prestige of membership in the Society.
- I agree neither to buy nor sell philatelic items the ownership of which is questionable and I will report promptly to the proper law enforcement agencies information on suspected stolen material.
- I agree to correct promptly any error I may make in any philatelic transaction.
- I agree to assist in the prosecution of violations of laws pertaining to philatelic matters, and to report promptly to the proper law enforcement agencies any such violations of which I have knowledge.
- I agree not knowingly to sell, trade, produce or advertise repaired, altered, or otherwise modified philatelic items unless that condition is clearly stated. I further agree not to sell, produce or advertise counterfeit material in any form in violation of any law.
- I agree to fulfill all philatelic contracts made by me, whether oral or written, to make prompt payments upon delivery and to return promptly any item that is not satisfactory.
- When exhibiting, I agree to display only material from my own collection or else to state clearly the contrary.
- I agree that substitution of stamps or covers, whether in circuits, approval selections, auction lots, etc. is dishonest and is cause for termination of membership in the Society.
- I agree to bring known examples of irresponsible or unethical practices to the attention of the societies in which I hold membership and which embrace this or similar codes of ethics.
- I agree to conduct myself in accordance with accepted standards of ethical behavior and courtesy in philatelic activities not specifically cited in this code.
- Requests for extension of time to return purchased material while awaiting expert opinion are not an acceptable reason to delay payment there for. If the material submitted for expert opinion is other than as offered or described by the seller, the seller shall promptly refunds the amounts paid there for. Unless otherwise previously agreed, the seller shall also bear the reasonable cost of obtaining the opinion, if the material is other than as offered or described. The buyer shall inform the seller immediately after receipt of any expert opinion. Requests for extension of time must be in writing.
- I agree to read, understand and be bound by the terms and conditions of sale conditions before submitting an auction bid or placing a philatelic order.
- If I should be found guilty of unethical or unlawful conduct, the record thereof may be disclosed to other philatelic societies of which I am a member.
- I agree that any dispute concerning philatelic transactions in which I am involved may be settled by arbitration mutually agreed upon by the parties involved.
- I agree not to knowingly participate in any way in the advertisement, sale or trade of any philatelic material using any deceptive practices including, but not limited to, false or misleading claims of scarcity, value, condition or investment potential.
- I agree that no dealer or auctioneer knowingly shall represent in any way, including, but not limited to, by a prices realized report, that a bona fide sale of a philatelic item at a given price has occurred when, in fact, no change of ownership did occur.
- I agree that this code of ethics applies to actions and transactions conducted over the internet or by any other means.